Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 28 Whole Lotta Something In That Bag

Today, I found myself as an outside observer into the world of kids, fast food, obesity, and outright, free wheeling gluttony. I witnessed the consumption of morbid mounts of food by a child, purchased by his parent, over the course of 2 hours in the car. The kid started off with a trip through the Taco Bueno drive through with 4 bean burritos and a small strawberry smoothie, he ended the trip with a stroll through McDonald's with 3 Double cheese burgers, a large fry, and a large Dr. Pepper! I did the math on this one, in two hours he consumed 4240 calories, 219 grams of fat, 10626 mg of sodium, 308 carbs, and 255 mg of cholesterol (not including the fries, which were not listed in the nutritional information). The combined food, including what his parent ate came to about 19.00! This child consumed 2 days worth of calories just at dinner #1 and dinner #2, I don't even know what the kid had for breakfast and lunch, makes me sweat just thinking about metabolizing all of that. While all of this hulabaloo was going on in my car, I sipped an icy cold tomato juice and had an apple, someone had to do it! So, this gross display of  food shoveling and mindless gobbling, led me to an idea, actually I had the idea way earlier, but this vulgarity solidified my decision to take action. I am going to offer some time to the Boys and Girls Club to teach a cooking and nutrition class, I think it would be a blast for them and for me and it's obvious, someone has to teach the little urchins how to make healthy choices. Maybe they will take what they learn back to their parents, homes will be happier, communities will thrive, and the world will be a slightly nicer place! Ya, it might happen!
www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com
Ca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol...definitely thinking this family's gonna need some parenting skills!! Good thing 25% of my 300 hour internship this semester is going to be dedicated to putting together a huge book of parenting resources for Wraparound!!...especially since neither of us know what the hell we're talking about ;o)