Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 31 Time To Buy Some Bread and Hunker Down

It has happened, I have arrived at day 31 and appropriately, hell (some call it Oklahoma) is freezing over. Tonight, as I celebrate my month long accomplishment and anticipate the next 11 to come, I, along with about 30 other states are waiting for a humongous storm to attack us in the night. As I have stated before, I usually just assume that what I have in my kitchen will last for awhile, I didn't so much as buy a jar of peanut butter during Y2K. This frenzied panic is different, I thought that for this epic disaster, I would jump on the band wagon and find out what all this pre-storm food hording was all about. I pulled into the grocery store parking lot to find a single parking space, out on the back 40 and more activity than I've seen since Thanksgiving eve. Oddly, I witnessed dozens of elderly women, linked together, in small groups, holding each other up for the long trek across the completely dry parking lot. It  was as if they were waiting for the ice to spring up unannounced, beneath them. Inside was like the fall of Saigon, nervous parents, dragging  their children and people grabbing whatever they could carry on their backs and in their carts. I could only stare at the madness as I perused the string cheese display. I wondered what people were thinking as they loaded up on chickens and frozen pizzas, what would happen when the power went out? Shouldn't people be buying charcoal and bleach to purify water? What about canned foods, and shelf stable, items like Twinkies and tuna to outlast the Snowpocolyps? I was judicious and bought some bread, some canned vegetables, and some cheese, only tonight I used most of the vegetables to make chili and I've already eaten most of that....I may have to go out foraging for berries the birds have missed or turn to looting by tomorrow night. Here's hoping for enough power to blog and beans enough to keep the flies away.
http://www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com/

No comments: