Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34 The Cake That Saved Me

Today, I woke up mad. I was mad at the snow, mad at my boss, mad at my dwindling bottle of shampoo, just upside down, rabid monkey angry. So, I strapped on my old lady, anti-slip, sneaker covers for ice travel and headed out in search of happiness. I made it to the little convenience store three parking lots over and was overjoyed to find them open for business. I felt like an orphan who finds her long lost parents, after years of eating gruel. The shelves didn't have much but I was enthralled by every single cellophane wrapped treasure. I nodded hello at my old friends in the soda isle and moved on, so much history, it was hard not to stop and catch up. As I weighed my options and corralled the temptations, I saw it, it was a plain yellow Betty Crocker cake mix, yellow happiness for 1.99! I looked at the required ingredients, oil, eggs, water, check, check, and check. I raced to the check out line, giddy at the thought of one more day of sustenance in my snow filled world. I handed the man my debit card...... sorry, he says, no purchases under 3.00 with a card. I stopped, I stared, please I whispered, I really need this cake! I fluttered my eyelashes, tried to look seductive in my mounds of snow garb. OK, he said, this time I'll do it, but next time....Yes, yes, thank you kind stranger, thank you. Like a raccoon with a tasty piece of garbage, I hurried home with my loot and set to work. The store was out of icing so I invented my own by mixing mocha latte coffee mix with butter and melting it into a chocolate glaze.  I also added a chopped up pear to the cake mix, the icing worked, the pear did not. All in all the cake was super delicious and just what I needed to cheer myself up, while waiting for rescue. Hopefully tomorrow I can go to a real grocery store for fruit and vegetables, maybe I won't catch the scurvy before then.
http://www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com/

No comments: