Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 53 Kids Who Eat Vegetables Are Less Likely To Become Felons

This may come as a revelation to those who know me, but I rarely finish anything...except what's on my plate. I have begun many things in my life, diets, careers, relationships, classes of varying subject matter, belly dancing, knitting. I always start off strong, but somehow, I start to drift and eventually the project or person is forgotten and stuffed into the giant closet of past great ideas. Initially, I was afraid to begin this 365 day project, but I have discovered that the further I go, the more determined I am to finish and the more committed I become to following through, the more I see this as an open door to other goals. I believe that the more I take care of myself, the more I am able to help others and this project has allowed me to do that, even if so far, its just been getting a picky 10 year old to eat an avocado. So, let me jump up on my soapbox for a hot minute, I'm getting to the point, I promise. I don't expect everyone on the planet to stop eating fast food, if I had that power, though, I would use it with a megaphone and a burger squashing quickness. What I do toss out is a challenge to be conscious, of how you take care of yourself and who is watching you do this. I mean come on, its a green pea, not a booger, your kids are watching you eat! Let them cook with you and see you trying and liking new foods, even if it's a nasty beet or pickled okra. Maybe your kid will really dig something you hate, you've lost nothing, while your spawn becomes a well rounded consumer, having ingested one less chicken nugget in his lifetime. It is no secret, that healthy kids are less likely to pick up self destructive habits, like smoking and armed robbery, it's true, vegetables have that power....I'm not making it up!
www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Middle-class Martha said...

AMEN SISTA!

A little concerned you used booger as a tag word for your article. Top of Google, here you come.
Wonder if I can work that word into my blog? HUM???

I like where this is going but please don't squash my hamburger : )