Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 37 Is There A Snow Route To Thailand?

I read cookbooks like I read novels, I get carried away in the descriptions, the ingredients, the pictures, everything. So, today while I listen to the snow mercifully melt into a river in the back yard, and wait for the next wave to come, I am dreaming of the Bankok floating market and perusing a beautiful Thai cookbook, I received for my birthday, last year. I do not have ingredients for even a few of the recipes, so I'm mostly just dreaming of what I'm going to make when I'm able to move about the city freely, without the aid of skis or spikes on my shoes. It's true, I still have the red curry paste from my last experimentation, but it is a certainty, that I need further education in this area of international cuisine. Apparently, as I learned from my mistake, you cannot just throw the curry in and stir it around, you should  use ALL of the ingredients listed, and use the paste sparingly. I'm kind of a willy nilly cook and don't always follow the rules, which sometimes leads to disaster and sometimes to things that are surprisingly good.
So the recipe that I'm eyeing right now, is spicy noodles with mushroom egg rolls or guay tiaw tom yam kub po pia hed, as it's called. I've never made egg rolls before, but I'm all about it since this recipe is vegetarian, it's spicy, and I loooove mushrooms in, around, or on anything that I put into my mouth. Next we have zucchini and cashew curry or kaeng courgette med mamuang for our imaginary side dish, ending with mango brulee, mamuang for pretend dessert. It's all a distant dream now, but maybe I'll have a post blizzard dinner party with a Thai theme, we'll have a little curry heat to make us forget about the snow. Right now, it's time to pack the dream away, I'm off to make a roasted squash soup and maybe make a grilled cheese with my snow storm, survival food. Sometimes, it's just a super fabulous soup and sandwich kind of night, I guess.
www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com

Mango Creme Brulee

1 comment:

Middle-class Martha said...

OMG! Drooooling over the Mango Creme Brulee. Made Chocolate Creme Brulee and Vanilla Bean for New Years and I was smitten but Mango. OH! I can just imagine. It reminds me of a dessert served at my Favorite Indian Restaurant.