Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41 Eating Dandelions

When I was four, I ate a fuzzy dandelion, this was not a conscious decision on my part. My cousin stuffed the flower into my mouth when I fell for his stupid line, Open your mouth and close your eyes and I'll give you a big surprise. I still remember trying to spit out the fuzz, while delivering a  well deserved beat down to my tormentor. I didn't taste another flower until some 26 years later, when I discovered rose petal ice cream, in an Iranian restaurant. My first thought was that it was a little confusing to taste such a flowery scent, but once my senses adjusted, I found it to be a really lovely, subtle taste, and went on to order a rose water flavored hookah to go with my ice cream. It was my birthday, I went a little crazy. So, what's all this talk about eating flowers? Well, I'll tell you! My mom's birthday is in the spring and I have a fabulous idea for a menu made with flowers.  The main course will be Grilled Salmon with Nasturtium flower vinaigrette, fried squash blossoms, and a banana blossom salad. The dessert is of course, rose petal ice cream with lavender cookies. My mother appreciates creativity and this dinner will be original and will be way better than the sack of potting soil and the garden knee pads I got for her last year. My brother's birthday is on the same day, so I'll have to think of something fabulous for him as well and something tells me, an 18 year old boy will not be impressed with the flower theme. I'm thinking maybe a bacon cake for him, ham flavored ice cream? I don't know, I'll have to ponder it.
www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Middle-class Martha said...

I LOVE the idea of Rose Petal Ice Cream and Lavendar cookies...I think you just ripped a page from my dream food diary.
As far as your brother goes, keep it GREEN! As in Cash!
Too Bad he won't be 21 or he could try my agava juice SNOW-rita recipe from my blog.

Hope to hear more about your Mom's B-Day Dinner Soon!

Later,
Middle-Class Martha
www.tres-sucrechocolatiere.blogspot.com