Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 54 New Orleans Vs. The Vegan

Mardi Gras is upon us, and I share this tribute, in honor of one of New Orleans spectacular creations. For seven years I was an excellent vegetarian and for six months, I was a good vegan. I read labels, I studied ingredients, I was militant in my eating habits... and then came that city on the bayou. Let me just say, that it is almost impossible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle in New Orleans, but it is absolute, utter nonsense to find anything vegan in any part of the city, everything is covered, smothered, drenched, and floating in some sort of buttery creamy magic. A few years ago, I chose New Orleans for a solitary birthday adventure and I was fully aware of the culinary implications awaiting me....I knew that I would face the beignets, the etouffee, the gumbo, no problem, but I was not prepared for my eggy nemesis, Creme Brulee. I knew that my vegan lifestyle was over before dinner at Broussard's even began. As seafood was out of the question, I had some sort of wonderful salad, though I cannot recall a single thing about it, in fact I remember nothing except dessert. I remember only, the Creme Brulee, I remember the tap and the crack of the caramelized crust, the guilty pleasure of this cardinal vegan sin, and the custard's angelic sweetness, as I scraped the ramekin clean. I knew that I could never attend another vegan potluck again, not with this secret on my soul. So, here I salute the dessert that brought down a girl, I never had a chance and I would do it again. Here's to all the foodies, who will descend on New Orleans next week, eat, drink, and revel in every sinful bite.
www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com

No comments: