Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

My People

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 44 Eleventy-Billion Uses For Avocado

Today, I learned that my Grandmother has never eaten an avocado, she doesn't know about the world's most perfect fruit! Avocados are my favorite food, unless you count cheese enchiladas, covered in avocado, so I cannot fathom, how someone has lived for 80ish years, without ever having eaten one! As I babbled on and on about guacamole and avocado sandwiches, I realized that that there must be a million other recipes, I had never laid eyes on. My Grandmother slipped me 5.00 as I headed out the door, and told me to buy something for myself....I bought 4 avocados and sat down to research over my simple dinner. Well, let me just say that the California Avocado Commission does not play around in their diverse collection of avocado recipes, concoctions I would never dream of! How about a California Avocado Milkshake, or an avocado Daiquiri? If drinking your Guac is not for you, how about couscous with avocado and mango or Grecian avocado pizza? Avocado poblano soup or Peanut crusted red curry avocado satay, the list is endless! The truth is that there are so many things we can do to make eating any fruit or vegetable delicious and interesting, but most of us cruise the produce aisle, tossing in iceberg lettuce, a couple of bananas and baby carrots, never considering the vast opportunity for healthy eating and food experimentation. I have also discovered that like the avocado commission and the potato commission, every other piece of produce probably has a commission too, this is a great place to find recipes and ideas for bringing more vegetables into your family meals. Eat Your Vegetables!
http://www.avocado.org/
http://www.fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com/
http://fastfoodboycott.blogspot.com/2011/02/day-43-big-ideas-sometimes-come-with.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love avacados and they are a regular buy. I've started smearing ripe avacado as a sandwich spread instead of using cheese or mayo. Keep up the good work Kelley!

So, 6 weeks in, what's been the greatest impact? physical? financial? knowledge?

Jeni

365 Day Fast Food Boycott said...

Thanks Jeni! I think the biggest impact has been financial, I never realized how much money I was wasting!